Registered Architect (OAPPC Modena 211)
Visiting Professor (Lebanese American University - Lebanon)
Adjunct Research Professor (Carleton University- Canada)
Doctor of Philosophy in Architecture (University of Pennsylvania - USA)
Master of Science in Architecture (University of Pennsylvania - USA)
Dottore in Architettura (IUAVenice - Italy)
Flying Houses. 2014
Via C. Morone n.4
41121 Modena, Italy.
Tel. +39 348 4095970
Web site: www.claudiosgarbi.com
Academic, Professional Degrees and Education
- 1993 Doctor of Philosophy (PhD), University of Pennsylvania, Dissertation: Between Words and Drawings, Supervisors Prof. Marco Frascari, Prof. Joseph Rykwert, , Prof. David Leatherbarrow.
- 1985 Master of Science in Architecture, University of Pennsylvania, Thesis: "The Origin and Evolution of Organic Theory in the United States", Supervisor Prof. Marco Frascari.
- 1983 Architetto, Registered Architect (Italy)
- 1982 Dottore in Architettura, IUAV Istituto Universitario di Architettura di Venezia, Thesis: "Prospettive dell'analisi semiotica in architettura", Supervisor Prof. Vittorio Gregotti
- 1982 Diploma "Scienza delle Connesioni", workshops with Giancarlo de Carlo, Joseph Paul Kleihues and Renzo Piano, Venezia, RAI, 1981-82.
- 1976 Diploma, Classical Studies High School, San Carlo, Modena, 1972-76
Recent Academic and Professional Activity:
- Consigliere Fondazione Architetti, Pianificatori, Paesaggisti e Conservatori di Modena, (FAPPCMO), 2023-2025
- Adjunct Research Professor, 2022-2027 (Carleton University)
- Advising Doctoral Students and participating in Cultural Programs
- Tutor, 2018-2024 (Istituto Marangoni)
- Iconography / Visual Design (2021-2022)
- Visiting Professor, 2018-2019 (Lebanese American University)
- Design Studio IV (Undergraduate) 2018-2019
- Theories of Architecture 2018-2019
- Adjunct Research /Visiting Professor, 2016-2019 (Carleton University)
- Graduate Seminar (Fall 2021)
- PhD Colloquium (Fall 2021)
- Technical Director, Building Company: EDRA srl, Carpi since 2003
- Technical Direction of Integrated Systems and Construction on building sites for renovations and new buildings/ Design Technical Consultant
- Practicing Architect (Modena, Italia) since 1982
- New Constructions, Renovations, Designs and Competitions (1982-todate)
- Director, 2016 (Carleton University)
- Studio First (Studio, Theory and History)
- Visiting Scholar, 2016-2018 (Carleton University)
- Research: The Healing Dimension of Architecture: Environmental Details
- Adjunct Research Professor, 2010-2016 (Carleton University)
- Studio “First” (2016)
- Graduate Studio (2010-2015)
- Graduate Seminar (2009-2015)
- PhD Colloquium (2011/2013/2016)
- Coordinator and Instructor, Directed Studies Abroad, 2010-2013
- Founder of “Facture Architecture” (with Marco Frascari and Qi Zhu) since 2012
- Renovations, Design and Competitions (2012-todate)
- Onorary Member and Member of the Scientific Committee: City Space Architecture from 2012
- Member of the theater company “V’erasimile” Artegenti since 2001, stage design and art director
- Visiting Professor 1985-1993 (University of Pennsylvania, GSFA)
Previous Professional Work and Membership
- Administator and Tecnical Director of the Building Firm ARTECOSTRUZIONI srl from 1987 to 2010, head of the legal and bureaucratic administration, commissions' provider and technical director of the building processes on the building sites
- Affiliate of "ISTITUTO NAZIONALE BIOARCHITETTURA" from 1995 to 2001, research on sustainable architecture
- Co-Founder Sgarbi-Leoni Architetti Associati, 1986-1990, design and practice
- Co-Founder Architetti e Ingegneri Associati, 1990-1992, design and practice
- Co-Founder and Member of Cooperativa "Multiversum" 1987-1995, historical research and installations
- Member of the Rotary Club Carpi (distretto 2070) since 1995 (President elected in 2006-2007)
TEACHING EXPERIENCE (Didactic Activities, Lectures and Conferences)
2023 – Washington Alexandria Architecture Center, Virginia Tech, USA. Frascari Symposium VI, March 31 – April 1. Paper to be presented with Talia Trainin: “Abandoned Incomplete / Complete Abandonment”
2021-2023 – Istituto Marangoni, Milan – Visual Design Program. 14 lectures on ICONOGRAPHY.
- Iconic Images
- Experiments on Visual Design
2021 – Carleton University, School of Architecture and Urbanism. Fall Semester. Adjunct Research Professor and Visiting Scholar teaching to Master and Ph.D. students. Ph.D. Colloquium Course: “The Ethics and Responsibility of the Architect”
2021 – 5th Biennial ISPA Conference. Public Space: the Real and the Ideal. Monte Verità, Switzerland. Paper presented “The Public in the Age of Human Obsolescence” July 7-5
2020 – Istituto Marangoni, Milan – Visual Design Program. 14 lectures on ICONOGRAPHY. October – November.
- Iconic Images
- Experiments on Visual Design
2020 – Carleton University, School of Architecture and Urbanism. Adjunct Research Professor. Studio First. Lectures and Reviews. July and August
- Architectures and Representation
2019 – Carleton University, School of Architecture and Urbanism. Adjunct Research Professor. December
- Master of Architecture – Thesis’ Review
- Ph.D Colloquium – Dissertations’ Review
2019 – Istituto Marangoni, Milan – Visual Design Program. 14 lectures on ICONOGRAPHY. October – November.
- Iconic Images
- Experiments on Visual Design
2019 – Biblioteca Ariostea di Ferrara, Public Conference: “The Ideal Man Between Eros and Death. Leonardo da Vinci and Giacomo Andrea da Ferrara”, September 17
2019 - Kingston School of Art, London , Department of Architecture and Lanscape, The Frascari Symposium IV - ‘The Secret Lives of the Architectural Drawings and Models - From Translating to Archiving, Collecting and Displaying’, “Session: Drawing sites and sites of knowledge construction: the drawing, the office, the lab, the construction site, and the archive.”, paper presented: “The Fabbriceria and the Mise en a-BIM. Where and What are we Trying to Hide?”, June 27-28
2019 – Lebanese American University LAU, School of Architecture & Design, Winter/Spring Semester. Visiting Associate Professor, teaching to undergraduate students:
- Theory of Architecture : “Architecture Theory. Speculations”
- Design Studio IV (Sec. 31 and 32): “Massing and Meaning in the Design of Buildings”
2018 – Carleton University, Azrieli School of Architecture and Urbanism. Fall Semester. Adjunct Research Professor and Visiting Scholar teaching to Master and Ph.D. students
- Ph.D. Colloquium Course: The Architect’s Sense of Guilt (on Stage)
2018 – Fossoli Camp Foundation, International Conference: “Sites of Transit in Europe from the WW2 to the Present. History, Spaces, Memories”, paper presented “Between Different Lives. A Camp-a-nomaly: Nomadelfia and the Condition of Absence”, Carpi, 3-6 October
2018 – Athens Institute for Education and Research, International Conference: “A Stream on ‘Crossings Body and Architecture’”, paper presented with Donald Kunze: “Love in the Ruins: Desiccation of the Living and Dead Body in Architectural Foundation Lore”, Athens, 9-12 July
2018 – Lebanese American University LAU, School of Architecture & Design, Winter/Spring Semester. Visiting Associate Professor, teaching to undergraduate students:
- History and Theory of Architecture : “Architecture Theory. Speculations”
- Design Studio IV (Sec. 31 and 32): “Theories, Bodies and Symbols in the Design of Buildings”
2017 – Carleton University, Azrieli School of Architecture and Urbanism. Fall Semester. Adjunct Research Professor and Visiting Scholar teaching to Master and Ph.D. students.
- Ph.D. Colloquium Course: “The Ethics and Responsibility of Architecture and the Architect”
- Master Students Studio: “Gateway Studio / Comprehensive Design”
2017 – Lebanese American University LAU, Byblos, Lecture: “Imagination”, April 3
2016 - Carleton University Azrieli School of Architecture and Urbanism. Fall Semester. Adjunct Reserch Professor and Visiting Critic teaching to master and doctorate students: Ph.D. Colloquium, and Visiting Scholar
- Ph.D. Colloquium course: "What is a research project and a research oriented practice". Lectures and seminars
- Research: "The Healing Dimension of Architecture: Environmental Ceilings"
2016 – Bezalel Academy. School of Architecture, Visiting Critic and Moderator at the conference "What's Now". End of the year event at the Department of Architecture. July 13-16
2016 – Carleton University – School of Architecture, Director of "STUDIO 1first bridge program", intensive spring/summer theory and practice, teaching the fundamental of design and studio culture to post-baccalaureate students:
- Theory Lectures: "Architecture – so what?"
- Studio: "4 Exercises"
2015 - Washington Alexandria Center of Virginia Tech WAAC, Ph.D. students dissertations' review, with Paul Emmons and Donald Kunze, October 29-30
2015 – First International Symposium on Funerary Architecture, Ravenna, Paper presented: "The Death and the Tomb of the Architect", October 21-24
2015 – Carleton University – Azrieli School of Architecture and Urbanism, Adjunct Research Professor and Visiting Professor, fall semester, teaching
- Design Studio in the Master Program: "Comprehensive Building Design"
- Graduate Course in the Master Program: "Theory and History. The Necessity of Theory"
2015 – Bezalel Academy – Jerusalem, 20-26 July, Visiting Critic and Moderator at the conference: "Goodbye State". End of the year event at the Department of Architecture, the Bezalel Academy of Art and Design. July 22
2015 – Biennale of the Public Space – Rome, May 23-24, Participant and Moderator at the International Symposium: MaPS. Mastering Public Space. A collaborative research network on cities and urbanity 2014-2017
2015 – Chub - Cantine HUB – Ravenna, May 14, Public Lecture: "Steel Islands in the Stream", International Conference: Ri-uso Architettura. Alla ricerca del luogo perduto
2015 – City Space Architecture – Bologna, april 9, Discussant: "Urban Visions. Conversazioni sullo spazio pubblico", Urban Center
2015 – ISI Florence. International Studies Institute, march 30, Public Lecture: "The Master Builder's Night"
2014 – Carleton University, Azrieli School of Architecture and Urabanism, Adjunct Research Professor, fall semester
- Design Studio in the Master Program "Building Civic Knowledge"
- Graduate Seminars: "The Necessity of Theory"
2014 – City Space Architecture – Bologna, Chair, at the International Conference "Past, Present and Future of Public Space", Bologna, June 25-27
2014 – Washington Alexandria Center of Virginia Tech WAAC, Speaker at the Frascari Symposium II, Confabulations. Storytelling in Architecture, March 28-29, title of the presentation: "Stories of Spaces of Genders"
2013 – Carleton University, Coordinator of the Symposium "Comprehending Building" Azrieli Pavillion, November 13, Introduction and moderator.
2013 – Carleton University, Azrieli School of Architecture and Urbanism, Adjunct Research Professor, fall semester
- coordinating and teaching Gateway Studio / Comprehensive Design for the 1st Year Master Students (Full Semester)
- teaching "Colloquium" for the 1st and 2nd Year Ph.D. Students
- Pit Lecture Series, October 7, "Imagination"
- Coordinating and Chairing the Symposium on November 13: "Comprehending Building"
2013 – University of West England, TRANSGRESSION, The 10th annual confernence of the AHRA, November 22, paper presented: "Transgressive Bodies, Extraordinary Bodies" (with Qi Zhu)
2013 - Boalsburg, Pennsylvania, Academy Street "Cagalibri" Symposium, coordinated and chaired by Donald Kunze, paper presented: "Cosmo-po..iesis"
2013 – Biennale of Public Space (Biennale dello spazio pubblico), Rome, May 18, "The Public Space of Education"
2013 – The Italian Cultural Institute of Chicago, "Italian Design Between Aesthetics and Identity Workshop", April 26, "Italian Design? Tradition and Invention" - Visit
2013 – Loyola University Chicago, "City of God / Towns for Humans – An International Conference " April 25 – 26, respondent to Joseph Rykwert's The City as a Body, "Notes for a Conversation"
2012 – Carleton University, Azrieli School of Architecture and Urbanism, Ph.D. Program, Sept 13, Lecture and Seminar: "The Contemporary Relevance of Architectural History. Vitruvius on Architecture as scientia"
2012 – Festival degli Appetiti. ArtApp, July 23-29, Monastero di Siloe, Grosseto, presentation with the title: "Body and Landscape"
2012 – Laboratory for the Research on the Cities – Laboratorio di Ricerca sulle Città, Istituto di Studi Superiori, International Conference, Bologna, June 28-30 "Nature and the City", paper presented: "The Female Body of the City? Notes on Cities and Metaphors"
2012 - Carleton University, Azrieli School of Architecture and Urbanism, appointed as coordinator and instructor for the Directed Studies Abroad (DSA), Bologna, Italy: January – April 2012; courses taught:
- Advanced Building Systems (Integrated Environmental Systems)
- Collective Seminars in Contemporary Architecture (The History and the Future of the Architecture of the City)
- History and Theory of Architecture ("Leon Battista Alberti and the Renaissance. Toward Modernity and Postmodernity");
- Design Studio ("An Urban Historical Park of Debris")
2011 - Carleton University, Azrieli School of Architecture and Urbanism, Visiting Lecturer (Fall 2011) for three courses:
- History and Theory. "Neuroarchitecture? Neurosciences and the Architectural Debate"
- Advanced Building Systems (Building Materials in the Historical City and their Future)
- Ph. D. Seminars (The Idea of Renaissance and its Relevance in the Contemporary Debate)
2011 - Carleton University, Azrieli School of Architecture & Urbanism (DSA Bologna, Italy), January-April, Adjunct Research Professor (2010-2012).
- Coordinator and Instructor of the following courses:
- 1 Design Studio (Redesigning a Postindustrial Area in the Urban Context: Ex Staveco)
- 2 Directed Studies in the History and Theory of Architecture (The Concept of Theory in Contemporary Debates)
- 3 Advanced Building Technologies (The Renovation of Traditional Technologies and the Idea of "Sustainability")
2010 - York University, Toronto, Summer Program in Italy (Prof. Shelley Hornstein).
- (2 July) site visit and presentation: "Bologna: Santo Stefano, San Petronio and the Anatomical Theatre"
2010 - Centro Internazionale di Studi di Architettura Andrea Palladio. 25°Seminario Internazionale di Storia dell'Architettura, Vicenza (10-12 June), Giovanni Giocondo, Umanista, Architetto e Antiquario, Pierre Gros and Pier Nicola Pagliara, curators; conference with the title: "Il Vitruvio Ferrarese e la conquista delle immagini. Alcuni dettagli quasi invisibili e un autore: Giacomo Andrea da Ferrara"
2010 - Carleton University, Azrieli School of Architecture & Urbanism (DSA Bologna, Italy), January-April, Coordinator and Instructor of the following courses:
- Advanced Building Technologies (Traditional Materials and New Technologies)
- Design Studio (Decommisioning Steel Islands in the Adriatic Sea)
- Directed Studies in the History and Theory of Architecture (Themes for Contemporary Theories)
2009 - Carleton University, Azrieli School of Architecture & Urbanism (DSA Bern Switzerland), February-March, Lectures and Seminars on Advanced Building Technologies
2008 - Artegenti. Cultural Association. Modena
- Lectures on Scenografy "La scena di Eros" (The Scene of Eros).
2007 - Carleton University, Azrieli School of Architecture & Urbanism (DSA Bern, Switzerland), November, Seminar: "The Image of Architecture and the Role of the Architect"
2007 - Artegenti. Cultural Association. Modena(Marzo – Luglio), 10 Lectures on Scenography: "Corso di scenografia – scenografia in corso"
2006 - Comune di Carpi, 23 Febbraio – Lecture: "La statue parlanti: il Potta da Modena" (Statues and Urban Dialogue in Modena) with Grazia Biondi; 15 Maggio, Lecture: "La poetica dell'acqua che scorre", Sala Peruzzi, Carpi
2004 - Istituto di Studi Rinascimentali di Ferrara. 29 Novembre – 3 Dicembre, Convegno Internazionale "Gli Este e l'Alberti. Tempo e Misura", Ferrara, Lecture: "Il De architectura dopo il De re aedificatoria: il caso del Vitruvio Ferrarese."
2004 - Libreria Feltrinelli, Modena, 13 Novembre, Presentation of the book by Luca Casadio , Le immagini della mente. "La mente creatrice dell'artista" (TheArtist's Mind)
2003 - Università della T. E. , Modena, (Novembre) Lectures: "La città romana di Vitruvio"; (Febbraio) Lectures: "Il teatro antico di Vitruvio"
2003 - Comune di Luzzara, (Luglio) Conference: "Il fiume. Per una antologia dell'acqua che scorre" (The River: Anthology of Running Water)
2000 - Rotary Club di Carpi, (12 Settembre) Conference: "L'uomo ideale nel Rinascimento", (13 Giugno) Conference: "Il ventre dell'Architettura"
1995 - Centro Culturale "Charles Peguy"; Centro Culturale "La Collina della Poesia"
- (November) Lecture: "Arte e Architettura della Controriforma"
1994 - University of Pennsylvania (Summer Studio), Lectures: "Architecture of the Void"
1993 - University of Pennsylvania, Summer Studio in Monselice (Padova) with Amedeo Petrilli; Second semester: Design Studio ("The Architecture of Emptiness")
1992 - Penn State University, Department of Architecture, (December) Lecture: "Dwelling on the Limit"
1992 - University of Pennsylvania, Graduate School of Fine Arts, (Second semester) Design Studio Critic and Lecturer: Theory of Form "On 'On Architecture'"
1991 - University of Cincinnati, School of Architecture, December Lecture: "Approximate Architecture"
1991/1988 – University of Pennsylvania, Graduate School of Fine Arts:
- 1988 Summer Studio in Venice (with Marco Frascari)
- 1989 (First semester) Design Studio (with Joseph Rykwert)
- 1989 (Second semester) Theory of Form "The Part and the Whole"
- 1989 (Second semester) Design Studio Critic
- 1990 Summer Studio in Mantova (with Marco Frascari and David Leatherbarrow)
- 1990 (Second semester) Design Studio Critic
- 1990 (Second semester) History of Architecture "Vitruvius' Ten Books"
- 1991 Summer Studio in Mantova (with Marco Frascari)
- 1991 (Second semester) Design Studio Critic
- 1991 (Second Semester) Theory of Form "11 Digression on Architecture"
1987 - University of Helsinki, Department of Art History, Lecture: "Architectural History and the Historical Project"
1987 - University of Oulu, Finland, Visiting lecturer in Theory of Architecture "Modernity and The School of Venice"
1986 – University of Pennsylvania, Graduate School of Fine Arts, Summer Studio in Venice and Lecturer on Theory of Architecture
Ph. D. Students Dissertation Advisor
- 2015 Ryan Stec, Public Things: developing the political potential of temporary architecture
- 2016 Jenan Ghazal, Constructing Destruction: Architecture and the Question of Violence
- 2017 Jesse Rafeiro, Drawing Ecological Futures: The Role of Transgression in Architecture
- 2021 – Damiano Aiello, The Myth of Cultural Heritage and the Case of Jerusalem.
- 2004, Vtruvio Ferrarese. De architectura: la prima versione illustrata, Franco Cosimo Panini Editore, Modena. Preface by Joseph Rykwert
- (Book review by by Pierre Gross, in Annali di Architettura, Rivista del centro Internazionale di Studi di Architettura Andrea Palladio di Vicenza, 17 / 2005, pp. 230-232)
- 1993, Between Words and Drawings . Dissertation on a Newly Found Illustrated Version of 'De architectura', UMI, Ann Arbor, Michigan
- 2013 Editor with Luisa Bravo of the special issue of the magazine IN_BO. Ricerche e progetti per il territorio, la città e l'architettura, Vol. 4, n. 1, "The public space of education"
- “Hidden Relics” / Interlude 4. Claudio Sgarbi interviwed by Ryan Stec and Pallawi Swaranjali, in course of publication in Architecture of Hiding, Routledge.
- 2022 “Building Without End. The Travails of Archè and Téchne”, in Elie G. Haddad, editor The Contested Territory. Architectural Theories, Routledge (2023).
- 2022 “The Fabbriceria and the Mise en A-BIM. Where and What are We Trying to Hide” (with Jesse Rafeiro), in Federica Goffi, editor The Secret Life of Architectural Drawings and Models, Routledge.
- 2021 “The Concentration Camp and the Ideal City”, in course of publication (Peter Lang), after the paper presented at the Fossoli Camp Foundation International Conference: “Sites of Transit in Europe from the WW2 to the Present. History, Spaces, Memories”, Carpi, 3-6 October.
- 2014 "Il Vitruvio Ferrarese, alcuni dettagli quasi invisibili e un autore: Giacomo Andrea da Ferrara" in Giovanni Giocondo. Umanista, architetto e antiquario, Atti del Convegno su Fra Giocondo, Vicenza 2010, Centro Internazionale di Studi di Architettura Andrea Palladio, Marsilio Editori, pp. 121-138 and pp. 289-294
- 2013 "The Female Body of the City", in Nature and the City. Beauty is Taking on a New Form, Jale Erzen and Raffaele Milani editors, International Yearbook of Aesthetics, Vol. 17, Sassari, Edizione Edes, 2013, pp. 267-284
- 2010 "Il teatro vitruviano dopo il De re aedificatoria" in Société Internationale Leon Battista Alberti, Gli Este e l'Alberti: Tempo e Misura, edited by Francesco Furlan and Gianni Venturi, Pisa-Roma, Fabrizio Serra Editore, Volume I, pp. 279-288
- 1999 "Scamilli, scabelli and a New Vitruvian Renaissance Manuscript from Ferrara" in Appearance and Essence: Refinements of Classical Architecture: Curvature, Lothar Haselberger editor, Proceedings of The Second Williams Symposium on Classical Architecture held at the University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia , april 2-4, 1993, University Museum Monograph, 107, Symposium Series 10, Philadelphia: The University Museum, University of Pennsylvania (ISBN 0-924171-76-6), pp 251-265
- 1997 "Architects' Bellies: Reflection on the Plumbing of Masculine Conceptions" in Plumbing. Sounding Modern Architecture, edited by N. Lahiji and D. Friedman, Princeton Architectural Press, New York, pp. 182-198
- 1991 "On the Grotesque Body of Architecture" (with Marco Frascari) in Costancy and Change in Architecture, Malcom Quantrill and Bruce Webb editors, Texas A&M University Press, pp. 105-130
- 1986 "Il testo architettonico" (with Mario Canato) in Introduzione al restauro, Cluva, Venezia
Peer review Articles
- 2020 “Building Buildings. The Site of Construction. (With a Letter by Donald Kunze and a project by Kevin Tomm)”, Maestro. On-Site, Spring 2020, ISI Florence, pp. 74-83.
- 2019 “The Concentration Camp and the Ideal City”, in course of publication (Peter Lang), after the paper presented at the Fossoli Camp Foundation International Conference: “Sites of Transit in Europe from the WW2 to the Present. History, Spaces, Memories”, Carpi, 3-6 October.
- 2017 “Weeping Walls and Shopping Malls” (with Ali Navid), IN_BO, Number 12, December 2017, pp 251-257, https://in_bo.unibo.it/article/view/7852/7991
- 2017 "Apologies in the Void", Scroope: The Cambridge Architecture Journal, (in course of publication)
- 2017 "Sacrilege. Desecrating the Memory of the Sacred", in_Bo, Research and Projects for the Territory and the City, ISSN 2036 1602, proceedings of the international symposium "The Future of Churches", Bologna 5.6.7 October 2016 (in course of publication)
- 2017 "Oneiric Recollection of a Design", Interview with Federica Goffi, in Marco Frascari, The Dreamhouse. A magic storytelling for Architects, Federica Goffi editor, Routledge-Taylor & Francis Group, (in course of publication)
- 2017 "Walls of Gender", Confabulations: Story Telling in Architecture, Paul Emmons, Carolina Dyer and Marcia F. Feuerstein editors, Ashgate Publishing Ltd, pp. 117-122
- 2015 "The Death and the Tomb of the Architect", City of the Dead, City of the Living, Luigi Bartolomei curator, IN_BO, ISSN 2036 1602, Vol. 6, n. 8, 2015 - Visit
- 2015 "Questions and Answers" in IN_BO, Vol 6, No 3 (2015) - "TEACHING AND MAKING ARCHITECTURE TODAY. A Global Inquiry", special issue edited by Luigi Bartolomei and Gilda Giancipoli, ISSN 2036 1602, pp. 122-126 - Visit
- 1994 "Curve invisibili", "Invisible Curves", Spazio & Societa'/ Space and Society, n. 65, January-March, pp. 80-85
- 1993 "A New Corpus of Vitruvian Images" RES. Journal of Anthropology and Aesthetics, Harvard University Press, n. 23, Spring 1993, pp. 31-51
- 1992 "Vitruvio: Fabrica e Ratiocinatio"/ "Vitruvious: Fabrica and Ratiocinatio", Spazio & Societa' / Space and Society, Anno 15, n. 57, January-March, pp. 122-126
- 1991 "Vitruvio e le sue immagini" , Vitruvius and His Images", Spazio & Societa' / Space and Society, Anno 14, n. 56, October-December, pp. 52-57
- 1991 "Rileggere Vitruvio" "Rereading Vitruvius", Spazio & Societa'/ Space and Society, Anno 14, n. 55, July- September, pp. 68-75
- 1988 "Speculations on Design and Finitio", VIA. Re-representations, n. 9 (The Graduate School of Fine Arts, University of Pennsylvania, Rizzoli, New York, 1988, pp. 154-165
- 2013 "Architectus in fabula. Marco Frascari (1945-2013)" in Il Giornale dell'Architettura, 15 Settebre 2013 - Visit
- 2013 "The Education of the Architects" in IN_BO. Ricerche e progetti per il territorio, la città e l'architettura, ISSN 2036 1602, Vol. 4, n. 1 (2013) The Public Space of Education, Special issue curated by Luisa Bravo and Claudio Sgarbi - Visit
- 2013 "Notes for a Conversation with Joseph Rykwert" - Visit
- 2013 "Italian Design? Tradition and Invention" - Visit
- 2012 "All'origine dell'Uomo Ideale di Leonardo" in DISEGNARECON, vol. 5, n. 9, giugno 2012, pp. 177-186, University of Bologna - Visit
- 2011 "Il futuro delle città e i luoghi del progetto aperto e del cantiere continuo. Design as a tool to discover the site." IN_BO, N. 3, dicembre 2011 - Visit
- 2005 "Un nuovo ingresso per il Liceo Muratori" in Il "Muratori", Dicembre 2005, n. 23
- 2003 "Il pescatore di anime catturato dai pesci", Fly Line, anno 18° n°5, settembre/ottobre - Visit
- 1996 "Architettura Approssimativa" in Corsi estivi della Graduate School of Fine Arts. Casa del Mantegna 1990-1991 (Mantova: Eurograf)
- 1995 "Ivan Illich e l'arte della lettura" Spazio & Società
- 1995 "Leon Battista Alberti in Mostra a Mantova" Spazio & Società
- 1994 "Leon Battista Alberti in Mostra a Mantova" Estetica
- 1990 "Una città quasi realizzata" / An Almost Realized City" (pubblicato con lo pseudonimo di Enea Biondi) in Trentacinque Progetti per Fossoli, a cura di Giovanni Leonai, Electa, Milano, pp 64-79
- 1990 "Een gesprek met Joseph Rykwert" Archis 3
Articles on Claudio Sgarbi Historical Research
La Stampa, Sunday feb 26, 2012
- Toby Lester, The Other Vitruvian Man, Smithsonian magazine, February 2012 - Visit
- Natalie Wolchover, "Did Leonardo da Vinci copy his famous Vitruvian Man?", Science, 1/31/2012 - Visit
- Fabio Sindici, "Leonardo e il gemello oscuro. Un Uomo Vitruviano per due", La Stampa, Domenica 26 febbraio 2012, pp. 30-31
- Tiziana Moriconi, "L'Uomo Vitruviano di Leonardo? Forse non è suo", Daily Wired - Visit
- Reports were also made: by ANSA (1/feb/2012), Gazzetta di Modena (2/feb/2012), other national and international newspapers and by Toby Lester, Da Vinci's Ghost. The Untold Story of the World's Most Famous Drawing, Profile Books, 2011, pp. 202-206 ; and by Joseph Rykwert in Architectural Review (Toby Lester, Da Vinci's Ghost), Feb. 2012.
- Interviews with Claudio Sgarbi on: RAI 1 (6/feb/2012), sbs.com.auitalian (3/march/2012) and other local radios.
Professional works: designs and buildings
Ulugh Beg C.C. Samarkand, 1991
- 2023 InAbsence – Exhibition of drawings and installations at the FINE ART GALERIE (Traismauer – Austria), with Talia Trainin, Bernhard Shneider, Fabio Elia Sgarbi Biondi and Salim Al-Kadi. September 8 – October 29
- 2022 –to date; Technical Director on Building Sites for EDRA srl
- 2022 –to date; Fabbricerie Creative. The Case of the Devil Bridge. Renovation Design / Research and Installation
- 2020-21 Office Space in Carpi, Modena (Designed and Built)
- 2020-21 “Hidden Relics”, Model and Video-Installation for the International Symposium The Architecture of Hiding, Carleton University (Canada).
- 2019-20 design for the renovation of an Industrial Building to be reused for residential units. VAO . Modena.
- 2017 design proposals for the renovation of two country houses for F.lli Turci, in Via Guastalla, Carpi (Mo)
- 2016 Design proposals for a commercial centre (Ex Imatex) in Carpi (Mo)
- 2016 Structural Renovation of CERMAG Industrial Buildings, Rio Saliceto (RE), Technical Direction on Building Site (in course of construction)
- 2016 with Adriana Ross, "Protocol", International Competition "Fairy Tales 2016: Architecture Storytelling Competition"
- 2015 with Jill Stoner, "Rigenerare Corviale", International Competition, Rome
- 2014 Structural Renovation of Hotel Touring, Carpi, Technical Direction on Building Site (Built)
- 2014 Stage –set design for "Fola", Verasimile, Soliera (Designed and Built)
- 2013 Structural Renovation of Enerplan Headquarters, Carpi
- 2013 Renovation of a Stanza, Via Barbieri 84, Modena (Designed and Built)
- 2012 with Qi Zhu and Marco Frascari, Amsterdam Bridge, International Competition
- 2012 Restoration of Historical Buildings in Carpi (Church of S.Ignazio, Casa Cortesi, Palazzo Corso, Convento delle Clarisse), Technical Director on Building Sites (Built)
- 2011 Housing Complex in Budrione, Carpi (Modena). Technical Direction on Building Site (Built)
- 2011 Restoration of the Multifunctional complex in Via del Corso, Carpi. Technical Direction on Building Site (Built)
- 2010 Renovation of a House, Via Canale 491, Soliera (Designed and Built)
- 2009/2010 Restoration of Villa Carolina in Via 2 Ponti in Carpi, Famiglia Faglioni. Technical Director on Building Site (Built)
- 2009 Villa Carolina, Carpi
- 2009/2010 Restoration of Palazzo Goldoni in Corso Cabassi in Carpi. Technical Direction on Building Site (Built)
- 2009 Scenography for "Provaci ancora" by Anna Perna (Built)
- 2008/2009 Restoration of the Synagogue of Carpi as a Museum, Comune di Carpi
- 2007/2009 Renovation of an Housing Complex in Budrione di Fossoli (Carpi). Technical Direction on Building Site (Built)
- 2007/2008 Housing complex in Via Piave 2 in Carpi, Technical Direction on Building Site (Built)
- 2007 Scenography for "Dinner Party" , by Angela Burico (Designed and Built)
- 2006 Renovation and garden "Gael" S.Biagio di Correggio, (Designed and Built)
- 2005 Scenography for "Fili", Compagnia dei Teatri dell'Era, (Designed and Built)
- 2004 Scenography for "La Signorina Papillon" by Stefano Benni, (Designed and Built)
- 2003/2006 Renovation of an Housing Complex in Correggio, Reggio Emilia
- 2003 Reconstruction of a portion of the Concentration Camp in Fossoli, Carpi
- 2003 Restoration of the Dome of the Church of San Giorgio in Carpi
- 2003 Restoration of the Northern Wing of the Castello dei Pio di Carpi
- 2001 Atelier for Maurena Lodi, Campogalliano, Modena
- 2000 Renovation and Refurbishing, Palazzo Taccoli-Focherini, Modena
- 1999 Design of Cinema Teatro Mac Mazzieri (Pavullo, Modena) with Mauro Cuoghi, Antonello Bellucci, Alessandra Ontani
Cinema Teatro Mac Mazzieri, 1999
- 1995/1999 Renovation of a residential palace in Via C. Morone in Modena
- 1995 Renovation of Commercial and Residential center "Borgo S. Lucia" (Modena) Built
- 1994 Villani House (Modena) Built
- 1994 Commercial and directional building "Immobiliare Niki spa" in Carpi
- 1994 Exhibit and Installationin the Cortile del Castello di Carpi for "Centro Emmanuel" Built
- 1993 Ascari House (Modena), with Antonello Bellucci and Giovanni Leoni
- 1993 with Marco Frascari, The Architect's Dream: Houses of the Next Millenium, The Contemporary Arts Center, Cincinnati, Ohio, published in the Catalogue
- 1993/1995 Renovation of the Ex Albergo Venezia in Piazzetta Garibaldi, Carpi
- 1992/1994 Renovation of a residential palace in Via Università in Modena
- 1992 Renovation of Biondi House (Fiumalbo, Modena) Built
- 1991 Honorable Mention. "International Competition for the Ulugh Beg Cultural Centre in Samarkand" Exhibited and published in the Catalogue. Pubblished in Mimar. e AU Arredo Urbano 50/51, Sett. Dic. 1992
- 1991 Exhibit and Installation : "Porta - Bandiere" e "Polittico" (CGIL, Exbition. Modena) Built
- 1991 New Facade for "Mobilificio Ponti" (S. Biagio, Mantova) with Antonello Bellucci Built
- 1990 Industrial and commercial building "Consorzio CIAC" in Carpi
- 1990 Franzoni' House (Modena) with Antonello bellucci and Giovanni Leoni. Built
- 1989 Special Merit "International Competition for the Alexandria Library", Exhibited and published in the Catalogue
- 1989 Furnitures for Bandieri House (Modena) with Antonello Bellucci. Built
- 1989 Industrial, directional and commercial complex "Samec spa" in Carpi
- 1989 Selected project: "Concorso Internazionale per il Museo Monumento di Fossoli" Exhibited and published in the Catalogue Trentacinque Progetti per Fossoli (Milano: Electa, 1990)
- 1988 Renovation of "Ristorante Livi" (Modena) with Antonello Bellucci and Giovanni Leoni. Built
- 1988 Renovation of the corner in Via Emilia-Corso Canalgrande (Modena)
- 1987 Renovation and furnishing of Negozio Dallari (Modena) with Antonello Bellucci and Giovanni Leoni. Built
- 1986/1989 Design of a new shops' facade in Palazzo Comunale(Via Emilia, Modena) with Antonello Bellucci and Giovanni Leoni. Built
- 1986 Selected project: "Il Ponte dell Accademia", Biennale di Veneice. Exhibited and published in the Catalogue. Reviewed by T. Peters in Architectural Record, 11, nov. 1986
- 1986 Terrace and Garden /Ex Marelli (Carpi) with Antonello Bellucci. (Built)
- 1986 Mobili per Giardini, Mobilificio Ponti (Mantova) with Antonello Bellucci. (Built)
- 1984 Giglioli House (Soliera, Modena) with Antonello Bellucci. (Built)
- 1983 Goldoni'House(Soliera, Modena). Built
- 1981 Canonica (Sozzigalli di Soliera). Built
L'architettura è la strozzatura”, 2001
History, Philosophy and Theory of Architecture.
The Image and the Role of the Architect. “nulla dea sine linea”, installation, detail, 1994
Works in Progress / Publications
- The Ethics of Building and the Necessity of Architecture. Architecture means to think about the principles that guide the art of building. It does not mean necessarily to build: it means precisely the commitment to investigate the reasons for the necessity to build.
- The Necessity of Theory. The Construction (Fabrication) of Thoughts. Lectures, drawings and dialogues on the theory of architecture, to be collected in separate volumes or chapters of an "Atlas for the territory of architectural imagination"
- Architectural Apologies / or / Apologies in the Void. Toward Creative Responsibility. A research on the many good reasons why an architect should apologize: for all the wrong made, for all that which has not been done and should have been done, for all that which has been subtracted and spoiled in doing something, and for all the voids that remain at the mercy of the unknown in the artificial world we all contribute to build
- A Bequartered Brother. Giacomo Andrea da Ferrara and Leonardo da Vinci. Ideal Men of the Renaissance. Philological and historical research on the micro-history of the event that took place in Milan at the end of the XVc; a research that I am planning to expand into a comparative analysis of the images and the meanings of the ideal men (and women) and the history of human proportions from the origin to post-modernity
- The Unfertile Belly of the Architects. The construction of the metaphor of "concept" and "conception" in architecture in western thought and its consequences on globalization. The prevarication of masculine imagination, the epigones of individualistic creation and the perspectives for our future toward the "chorality" of differences
- Building and Architecture. Handbook of Advanced Building Systems. Explorations on Materials. Comprehending Building.
- The Female Body of the City. La Potta of Modena (with Grazia Biondi). Spaces of Gender.
Travels and Explorations
- Europe, Egypt, Tunisia, Amazon, Tierra del Fuego, Mongolia, Cuba, Belize, Mexico, Seychelles, Mongolia, United States, Canada, Australia, Bali, Iceland, Greenland, Kola Peninsula
- Italian (mother tongue); English (written and spoken); French and Spanish (reading skill); Latin and Ancient Greek (reading skill)